“ Li Dafang considers himself as a film director when he start to paint, this is a very important message for me. Every painting is a scene of a film (this film plays in his spirit) and Li Dafang use his paintings as an input to the observer that he can start with his own film.
When he starts a painting he looks into his centre (spirit) what is the aim of his new painting.
Because of this, each painting is unique and he can communicate with this painting to everybody, the language in spoken and written forms are not important anymore.The point of Li Dafang’s issue is the communication. Because of this idea Li Dafang shows only 20% of his paintings, the rest, 80% he destroys.

My question to Li Dafang:
 » Of this period 2003 it is the only painting in black and white. Is there any reason for?
Yes. The reason why the painting black and white is, is to represent the Chinese philosophy (ink paintings, very simple, « less is more », less color more expression)
My questions: Why is « Twang » such a special work for you? Can you explain me your « film » what did you have in your mind when you started this painting?
When he finished the work « Twang » he realized that this painting is timeless, the scene can be in the past, now or in future. This makes it special compare to the other paintings which there scenes are only current. At that moment he had a strong feeling for Chinese philosophy.
His « film » was based on a legend which is many 1000 years old.
Two very closed friends lived faraway each other. Both of them played a Chinese stringed instrument and they could communicate with the sound. Everybody wished to communicate in the same way like they did.
Li Dafang likes the idea communicating with music, images, nature, everything without any words. That was the crucial factor for Li Dafang for the painting « Twang ». In combination with the Chinese philosophy and his favorite word « less is more » he created the « Twang ».
Li Dafang’s film: The two people in the painting speak together or one person speak to his shadow (Li Dafang keeps this open for the observer). The discussion is about the future.Li Dafang’s first film scene is: « Kang Qi come here » (Kang Qi is a Chinese name).Li Dafang’s last film scene is: « I do not know »
This two sentence are written on the painting in Chinese letters. If Li Dafang has a problem, he would go to the countryside and he search there for an answer. Often he does not receive any answer but he finds his peace. « Twang » is a discussion with the nature, Li Danfang did not received an answer « I do not know » but he feels more stable afterwards. The word « Twang » means: the sound of the string instrument ».

By Zsuzsa
gallery Urs Meile, may 2006

share this:

    Leave a Reply

    Please wait...

    dsl Collection

    Registrer for news. Enter your email address and name below to be the first to know.